Friday, November 20, 2009

In the beginning...

I thought that for a few posts I would share my process of taking a scene in Maya from the default materials stage all the way through to a finished piece.

I should start by saying that I am still learning this process so some many most all most of the things I do could be done better and faster. I'm learning and this is part of the process for me. I find that when I teach someone how to do something, I understand and retain more of it.

Please note that this is not a tutorial, just a little peek into a process that I will try to keep brief, informative and interesting.

Here is the scene I am starting with.
(you can click on any image to see it bigger)


It's already animated but now it needs to be textured. That is the process of assigning "materials" to each surface that dictate things like its color, whether it's shiny or dull, its transparency and reflectivity. We also tell the software where the bumps, grooves and scratches are.

I start by collecting reference images to see real-world examples of what I am trying to create. I had some images from a headshot session with my friend Donna Jo and I also did a google search for "professional kitchen." Here are a few that I liked:

I just thought the colors and the lighting in this one were beautiful.


I love the copper pots in this one.

A good reference for a working kitchen - scratches, grime, stains...

Jewell Rae Rules!

I like the wood and steel look of this one. It's going to be my main reference.

And, just for a little nod to the masters, I am going to steal the floor from Ratatouille.

Well that's where I am now. I have a lot of work to do so I better get started. Check back often as I will be updating this blog as I progress along.

To see more, part two continues here.

Cheers!
Daniel




No comments:

Post a Comment